The Right Questions to ask a Greenville, SC Personal Injury Lawyer:
With all of the advertisements for lawyers circulating around, you might be tempted to just pick the first one you see and use them for your legal issue. However, it is essential to have a lawyer that you can trust, that has the skill to see your case though, and the time needed to properly oversee a case. You must interview your attorney to make sure that they are able to provide everything that you need. Here are some things that you must ask when determining if an attorney is a right fit for you.
- In what areas of law do you practice? First and foremost, you need to make sure that the attorney you are considering practices in the area of law that you are seeking legal help in. In the case of personal injury, you will want to make sure that they have experience with prior personal injury cases.
Have you tried cases similar to mine? Along with just having experience in personal injury, it can be infinitely helpful if the attorney has handled a case that is similar to yours. Of course, no case is exactly the same, but similarities between cases are helpful because the attorney will have a general idea of what could happen.
- What is your caseload? It is no secret that lawsuits can take time to either go to trial or settle. Therefore, it is imperative that your attorney has the time and resources available to them to dedicate themselves to your case. If the attorney has a high caseload, you should inquire whether they have the support staff available to aid in case management.
- Who will handle my case? Most attorneys do not work alone; they might have a paralegal or a law clerk that help with various aspects of the case. You want to make sure that you know who will be working on the case. Additionally, knowing who will be working on the case is helpful because you will also know who you can contact to ask questions or for case updates.
- Are you ready to take my case to trial? In today’s legal world, a lot of cases settle before trial. The cost of the trial is expensive and time-consuming. Should your case not settle before a trial, you need to be sure that your attorney is ready to go to trial.
- What percentage of cases do you settle? In addition to making sure the attorney is ready, you need to be sure that your attorney is able to go to trial. You want an attorney who has been to trial and has the experience necessary to be successful. There is no issue with an attorney settling cases, you just want to be sure they can also go all the way to trial.
- What is the contingency fee? In personal injury cases, the attorney will only collect if your lawsuit is successful by taking a percentage of the settlement or judgment; this is called a contingency fee.
If you are seeking a personal injury attorney, Bryan Ramey P.A. is an excellent choice, because they offer a FREE consultation. Attorney Ramey will take the time to answer your questions and keep you completely informed throughout the entire case.
Bryan Ramey is a Personal Injury Attorney who practices in the upstate of South Carolina. He graduated from The University of South Carolina School of Law, and has been practicing law for 27 years now. Bryan Ramey believes in representing the injured. Learn more about his experience by clicking here.